History

  • 1854February 18th

    Flour Mill

    By the end of February 1854, the construction of a water driven flour mill was completed on the banks of Lyndoch Creek, in the coming years the Mill was upgraded from water power to steam power to help in the dry months. The mill had multiple owners up until 1878 when operations ceased due to the owners death.

  • 1880January 1st

    Flax mill

    In 1880 the Barossa Flax company took over the old flour mill site and built 8 retting tanks, each one measuring 9x1x5.5 mtrs. In 1881 flax production began but was short lived as Flax crops did not grow well in the area.

    Come 1884 production stopped due to insufficient crops, the mill was once again closed.

  • 1891January 1st

    Australian wine Co.

    In 1891 The Australian Wine Co purchased the site and began converting it into a winery. By 1900 approx. 113,650 litres had been produced, it was a quick 15 year burst of winemaking. in 1916 the company decided to close the winery and sell off its assets.

    The buildings and old mill then fell into disrepair and the land surrounding was used for mixed farming

  • 1941August 1st

    Birth of Yaldara

    WW2 Rattles the world and In 1941 Herman Thumm was sent to Australia and based on the Murray River in a German POW camp. At then end of the war he was offered work in a winery near Lyndoch, this was his introduction to the area he later would call home.

  • 1946January 1st

    Herman and Yaldara

    Driving past the old mill with his boss one afternoon his imagination and passion were sparked and after many visits to the current land owners he managed to convince them to sell him a portion of the land with the old ruins.

    He slaved away for the coming months and was up and ready to begin wine making for Vintage 1947, he relied on local grape growers from the area for is first vintages.

  • 1960January 1st

    Herman expands

    In 1950 Herman Married, he had 2 sons and his wife to look after now, and in the early years they lived in rooms of the old mill until a home was built further up the hill.

    In 1954 Herman Purchased the remaining land which was the rest of the flax facility and then in 1960 bought the adjoining 79 acres of land which now makes up the majority of the estate.

    Work continued, building and digging out the lake, rebuilding storage sheds and the new sheds for Champagne bottling.

  • 1967January 1st

    The Cellar Door

    Herman's original tasting room is now no longer used and the Chateau that you can visit today has been refitted as our cellar door, previously this space was used as a museum. The chateau was finished in 1967 and is built in and around some of the old flax mill tanks.